So before I launch into just how awesome the Romantic Times Conference was, I have a couple of announcements.
1. I will be back in Chicago in two weeks (4/30/12-5/1/12) for the International Reading Association Conference. I’ll be doing a podcast, talking on a panel (about super cool things, I’m sure…) and signing copies of ARTICLE 5! Kendare Blake (Anna Dressed in Blood – have you read it? It’s amazing), as well as other Tor authors will be there. So excited.
2. I will be in Reno, Nevada, my home town, in May! Sundance Books and Music – one of the staples of my youth – will be hosting an ARTICLE 5 reading/signing with yours truly on Friday, 5/11/12 from 6:30PM to 8:00PM. I hope you can make it! For more information, click here.
3. Have you ever seen an Australian copy of ARTICLE 5? Well, this is what it looks like.
It was a trip. Seriously. It was so much fun! I mean, where else can you be inundated with postcards of naked men (and women), be given lube and paddles for audience participation, or go to lectures like:
- Heartthrobs and Heartbreaks
- YA Worldbuilding
- Great Thriller Villains
- Dystopian Delight: Making the Apocalypse Bad to the Bone (lol)
- Kiss Me, Kill Me: Writing Action Scenes
- The Ins and Outs of Sexual Tension, and
- Sex Scenes They Won’t Skip (ha!)
I got to meet (in person) many of my email friends in the Apocalypsies (Pictured below are Zoraida Cordova -VICIOUS DEEP, out in May 2012, and J.A. Souders – who I already knew because we share our fabulous editor, but anyway – RENEGADE, out in November 2012, and Liz Czukas, who’s book will be out in 2013!).
I also met the nicest lady in the elevator – we chatted about all sorts of things as we stopped from floor to floor – and then I looked down and realized her name badge said Sue Grafton and I pretty much peed all over myself. Not really, but I might as well have. It seemed totally appropriate to yell out: “OMG I HAD NO IDEA I WAS TALKING TO SUE GRAFTON.” She was very nice about the whole ordeal.
Best part? The A5 team was together for the first time ever! My agent AND my editor! I had so much fun spending time with them. Wish we all lived closer and could do this more often. Here’s me with Melissa Frain, editor extraordinaire, at the signing (where, btw, I sold out of copies of ARTICLE 5!).
Thank you to everyone who came and introduced themselves. It was a humbling experience indeed to be placed amongst such prolific writers, and amazing getting to hear your favorite Chase and Ember scenes!
Finally, I didn’t know this before I went, but did you know they give you FREE BOOKS at conferences? REALLY! I got a ton, and then realized, oh crap, how am I going to get these home?
Hope you have a great week. I’ve got to get back to edits on Book 2! See you soon!