10 Things You Should Know about METALTOWN

My next book, METALTOWN, is set to come out in Fall 2016, but before the year ends I wanted to share a few (okay, 10) things about it. But because I’m evil (BWAAAAAHAHAHHA!), I’m only going to tell you one thing a day. We’ll call it the 10 Days of Torture. Shall we begin?

1. Here’s a quick and dirty rundown of the story:

Colin and Ty know to keep their heads down. They wake up each morning at dawn, search for clean water, and take their spots on the factory line. The work is hard, the pay inconsistent, but it’s the best shot they have of surviving the streets. So when Ty is hurt on the job, Colin knows he has to do something. No work means no food or shelter, and he’s not willing to let his best friend face that fate. He’s going to save her, even if it means going to the one person they vowed never to trust – the daughter of their employer.

2. I call it Les Mis meets Newsies. Without the big dance numbers. And the singing.

3. There are three alternating perspectives in this story. Two are girls. One is…gasp…a BOY.

4. No dogs (or horses, or cows, or lizards, or cats, or Bald Eagles) were harmed in the making of this book. (I PROMISE, OK?)

5. It is my favorite story that I’ve ever written, with my favorite character I’ve ever written. This means that I’m both thrilled and terrified to see it released out into the wild

6. METALTOWN is a standalone novel (not part of a series). This means you DO NOT HAVE TO WAIT TO FIND OUT HOW IT ENDS. It’s all there in one neat, tidy package.

7. So what IS Metaltown anyway? So glad you asked! Metaltown is the factory district within the fictitious Northern Federation capital, part of the larger, also fictitious, Silah Peninsula. It’s a dingy, sort of scary place, where you have to fight for fresh water and food that hasn’t been contaminated by disease. Lots of people are struggling to find work there, and those that do end up taking unsafe jobs, like building parts for weapons with their bare hands while surrounded by only sort of stable chemicals and no protection to speak of. To sum up – hidden hot spot! Vacation Destination #1! Get your tickets today!

8. In METALTOWN, a “charter” is like a labor union. (What’s a union? Click HERE to find out!) This is a big part of the story.

9. In METALTOWN, a “press” is like a strike. This is also pretty important.

10. As we know, books need readers to survive, especially in cold, hard Metaltown. In the coming months I will be releasing a series of newsletters with exclusive MTown content and information. I need your help to spread the word – or as we’re going to call it, PRESS BACK. Those who join the press can earn advanced copies of the book, super awesome swag (which I have been working on in secret and OMG YOU GUYS IT’S GONNA BE COOL), and my lifelong adoration. To receive my newsletter and find out more, sign up here, where it says “PRESS BACK, SIGN UP FOR THE CHARTER NEWSLETTER” —–>

So…are you ready to PRESS BACK? I certainly hope so!

22 Responses to 10 Things You Should Know about METALTOWN

1. AHHHHH I’M SO EXCITED!!! You are so torturing me by making me wait ;)

• Kristen says:

It will be worth it! I promise, Jessi!

• emma says:

2. Adriana says:

Ok, that was enough, you got me hooked just by this. I don’t need any more blurbs to know that I want this book.

3. jello says:

AAAAHHHHH Can’t wait to read your new book! I enjoyed Glass Arrow a lot :)

4. Anything you write, I’ll read, and this looks AMAZING :D So excited!

5. Lori T says:

I’m always excited for any book written by you, so METALTOWN won’t be any different. I love the teasers you’re giving and the synopsis sounds amazing! And when you come back to Lexington, we’ll talk more about it. I’ll remember to bring chocolates this time! haha!! :-)

6. Corie says:

I’m so excited!

7. HollyB says:

OMG… I want this so badly it makes me want to cry!! And I don’t care if that makes me sound crazy :-P

I was already on your newsletter mailing list, just wanted to point that out for extra bragging rights ;-)

And finally, you said it’s your favorite story and your favorite character, so I’m wondering (if you’ll share), which character is it? Ty, Colin, or the employer’s daughter? Or someone else?

Oh wait, there’s one more thing: I’m SO GLAD to see that this world will heavily feature unions and strikes and factory workers and their plight. Yes I know it’s fiction, but I’m in favor of everyone learning more about these issues in whatever way possible! You typically only see this in historical fiction books, which aren’t everyone’s cup of tea, so it’s exciting that you’ll reach a potentially different crowd. So thanks! And I CANNOT WAIT TO READ IT! AND ANYTHING I can do to help in advance of release, I WILL DO IT! Just say the word :-)

• Kristen says:

Hi Holly!

This comment just made me so happy. I’m thrilled that you’re excited, and so glad you’re on the newsletter. More coming on that soon!

I can’t share who my fave is yet…but I will. (I know, I’m the worst!)

And I’m SO GLAD to read this bit about strikes. As a social worker and therapist, social issues are very important to me. I hope I do them justice in this story!

Thanks again!
      Kristen

8. Danielle D says:

Got my attention, highly curious about this now.

9. Sandy Blackwell says:

cool, how exciting! If this is your all around fav then how can we not like it.

10. Annie says:

OMG!I’m so thrilled for this book to be released!!The characters sounds amazing and I can’t wait to read another book written by you!!! #Metaltown

11. Katherine says:

I can’t wait for this book to come out. I’ve read the entire Article 5 trilogy and The Glass Arrow. I can hardly keep my excitement inside because I’m so excited to read another book by an amazing and talented author such as you. Praise for Metaltown! Press Back! #Metaltown